Pages

Sunday 14 June 2015

Eloise - Judy Finnigan




She was a daughter, a wife, a mother.
She was my friend.
But what secrets did Eloise take to her grave?

After her best friend Eloise dies from breast cancer, Cathy is devastated. But then she begins to have disturbing dreams that suggest Eloise's death was not all it seems.

With Cathy's history of depression, her husband Chris, a psychiatrist , is acutely aware of her mental fragility. 
When Cathy tells Chris of her suspicions about Eloise's death, as well as her ability to sense Eloise's spirit, Chris thinks she is losing her grip on reality once again.

Stung by her husband's skepticism, Cathy decides to explore Eloise's mysterious past, putting herself in danger as she finds herself drawn ever deeper into her friend's great- and tragic-secret.

............................................................................................................

I am usually a little skeptical my self when it comes to reading novels that have been written by TV Presenters turned Authors.  I had listened to an interview with Judy Finnigan, on the Graham Norton Radio two show, she was actually there to promote her new book I do not Sleep, the storyline of which sounded really good.  Whilst running my errands on that same day I decided to pop into Waterstone and see if they had a copy.  I was a little early as it wasn't for release until the following week, but they did have a copy of her first novel Eloise so I decided to get a copy.  I'm afraid as per usual it has sat on the bookshelf for a while but I finally got around to it this week.

So what did I think of Ms Finnigan's debut novel?

On the hole I thought it was very well written and a good read.  I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a love story, a mystery or a thriller or perhaps all three and maybe it would of been better to keep it to one theme. I'm not sure the haunting by her deceased friend was truly believable.  I know sometimes when I've had a near miss in the car I'll tell my kids that was my mum or a close friend keeping an eye on me from up above but,  I'm not sure how many people would believe you could be haunted by a dead friend in your dreams.

So overall a good read, not necessarily one I would recommend as a page turner but it hasn't put me off reading her second novel which I have downloaded to my Kindle.

...........................................................................................................


My next read is from my Kindle and I have picked Emma Healey's  Elizabeth is Missing 



I started this one last night, hence the hot chocolate, and so far I am up to chapter 3 and enjoying it.

Happy Reading One & All.

Don't forget to have a look at Laura's Year in Books Project to see what bloggers are reading. You'll find some great recommendations.

Mx

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'm in the mood for some cosy reading and have picked up a Susan Wittig Albert book. Have you tried her? Amazingly prolific and quite good.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Susan Wittig Albert but looking at titles she has written there is one about the daughter of Laura Ingles Wilder from the Little House on the Prairy series. That looked quite interesting. I did read some of the Little House on the Prairy when I was younger may have to revisit some again for my return to childhood reads.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.