Pages

Friday 5 June 2015

500 Words




Here in the UK we have a very cheeky chappy called Chris Evans. He is best known for his BBC Radio 2 breakfast show and his appearances on BBC 1's 
The One Show. 
In 2010 helped to launch a competition for children aged from 5-13 years called  500 Words. 
500 Words invites children under 13 years to write and submit a story.
 These stories are judged in two categories 5-9 years and 10-13 years. 
I believe they had over 4000 entries this year. Each story was read by a team of teachers and librarians and from the 4000 entries the top 50 stories were picked. 
These top 50 authors are then invited to the final which is broadcast live on
 Radio 2. 
In the past they have taken place as part of the Hay Festival but this year they had a very special invitation when they were invited by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall to St. Jame's Palace.  The final took place last Friday 29th May and the top three stories in each of the two categories were awarded a medal. 

If you didn't get to hear any of the final or you had not heard of this competition before I urge you to go to the website here and see the winners. You won't be disappointed and for a couple you will need to have your tissue at the ready. 
It is such an inspiration that we have such talented young people and if they are writing this type of story now what are they going to be able to produce in the future.

I am so behind with joining in with Laura's The year In Books Project this month and have already read two books and onto my third but I will try and rectify this over the weekend. 
I feel like the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date.

Image result for alice in wonderland white rabbit



Mx

2 comments:

  1. I wrote earlier this week about having listened to it properly for the first time, all the way through. Thought it was great. Favourite was definitely "the word that wouldn't come out"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without doubt this was my favourite although Blue made me want to cry and loved the one about the nit comb.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.