Pages

Monday 4 May 2015

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN - PAULA HAWKINS

                      

EVERY DAY THE SAME

Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. 
She knows it will wait at the same signal each time.
Overlooking a row of back gardens.

She's even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses 'Jess and Jason', she calls them.
Their life - as she sees it - is perfect.
If only Rachel could be that happy.

UNTIL TODAY

And then she sees something shocking.
It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough.

Now everything's changed. 
Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she's only watched from afar.

Now they'll see: she's much more than just the girl on the train...

....................................................



With getting up at stupid O'Clock five days a week come a weekend I still wake up at stupid O'Clock and inevitably I won't be able to get back off to the lovely dream I was having so I get up make a cup of tea and 
read.
But this weekend I was also going to start my new book so I felt that an extra treat was in order.

Well what else do you do with a bank holiday weekend when the weather is blowing a hooley and all the housework is done. 

My new book is of course 'Girl on the Train' by Paula Hawkins. 
I had heard and read many great reviews about this particular novel, it was another recommended by Simon Mayo's Radio Two book club and was Colleen Nolan's recommendation on Loose Women (a daytime show here in the UK), but there are many of you who are taking part in Laura's The Year in Books Project 2015 who have recommended this one too. 

As it tells you above Rachel is a girl who travels everyday on the train into London and everyday the train stops at a particular signal giving her front row viewing of a row of houses.  She see's this particular couple every morning. She has never met them in person and knows absolutely nothing about them, so she gives them made up names and makes up a story in her head as to the lives they lead.
Then the girl she has named Jess disappears, it is all over the news and Rachel thinks she may have the answer to her disappearance. 
But here's the thing, will anyone take her seriously.

...................................................

I used to read thrillers all the time when I was younger, half the time frightening myself stupid but I had heard such good things about this novel that I knew I was going to have to read it. I am so glad I did. 
 Paula Hawkins tells her story through three main characters, Rachel, Megan and Anna.  
I was gripped by the end of the first chapter and just when I thought I had got the twist something would happen that would have me thinking again. 

This is Paul Hawkins first thriller and has been optioned for a film by Dreamworks, I just hope if the film goes a head that they don't detract too from the book.

It's not uncommon for me to devour a book within three days but I think I have even surprised myself in the fact that I just couldn't put this one down, it is therefore definitely one I would recommend you should read.

So what will I do now?

Make a cup of tea and pick another book from the bookshelf of course.

                     

We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler has been residing on the bookshelf for sometime now. It has been recommended by a number of you taking part in The Year in Books Project 2015 so I thought it was time it came off the shelf.

Hope you are getting better weather than we are.

Happy reading one & all.

Mx

10 comments:

  1. I don't cope well with too much suspense but I do really want to read The Girl On The Train. It is all over blog land and I haven't read a bad thing yet. Happy May reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering it is a thriller I found it an easy read and I don't think you would be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. I read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves back in February. I haven't read The Girl on the Train yet but will do as everyone seems to be reading it and I don't want to be left out!!

    Eileen @ In My Playroom (also joining in with The Year in Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read The Girl on the Train. It made for great weekend reading with the weather being so bad. I have read to the point where you get the twist in All Completely Beside Ourselves. So far so good.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Girl on a Train too. I also like We are all Completely Beside Ourselves although not everyone in my book group agreed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed The Girl on the Train, it had had so much hype that I was a little worried that I would be disappointed but no it was as good as everyone said. I have got to the point where she reveals the truth about her sister in All Completely Beside Ourselves, it has been good so far but I think it would be a bit of Marmite as in not everyone would like it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mitzi I've heard such good things about The Girl on the Train, I think I'll have to get it!

      Delete
    3. I would definitely recommend you give it ago. It was everything it had been hyped to be.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. I loved that book. I bought the kindle edition an read it it 3days, brilliant. I read it after I'd listened to the book review on radio 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to Simon Mayo on the way home from work and I usually catch his book reviews then I have to try and remember the name of the book or the author or both when I get home so I can search for it on the kindle, but with The Girl on the Train I had stopped at the supermarket on the way home and spotted it so in the basket it went.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.