Pages

Thursday 7 May 2015

WE ARE ALL Completely BESIDE OURSELVES - Karen Joy Fowler





What if you grew up to realise that your father had used your childhood as an experiment?

Rosemary doesn't talk very much, and about certain things she's silent. She had a sister, Fern, her whirlwind other half, who vanished from her life in circumstances she wishes she could forget. And it's been ten years since she last saw her beloved older brother Lowell.

Now at college, Rosemary starts to see that she can't go forward without going back, back to the time when, aged five, she was sent away from home to her grandparents and returned to find Fern gone. 

........................................

There have been many mixed reviews on We are all completely beside ourselves it appears to be very much a Marmite novel.

It is written in six parts and by the time you get to to the end of page 1 of part two the twist has been revealed therefore I can't tell you too much about the storyline or it will give it away.

What I can tell you is that at the beginning of the story (which is actually the middle) Rosemary is in college where no one knows about her family background and that's the way she would like it to stay.
She hasn't seen her brother since the disappearance of their sister but she is hoping that by going to college at Davis he may just get in touch and want to see her.
From here on out the story really is about Rosemary blaming herself for the disappearance of her sister.  She feels that Lowell  somehow blames her for it too and is hoping that if Lowell does get in touch that she will be able to get closure.

.....................................................

 I can't say this particular novel absolutely grabbed me and it was more that I had to keep reading to get to the end quicker.
I'm not sure that I agreed with all the hype that the book received there are definitely better novels around at the moment.
That's not to say that it wasn't well written but it did seem to loose it's way a little in some parts.

If you already have a copy it is worth reading but I don't think it's one that you should rush out and buy.

So on to my next read, which is going to be my return to childhood favourite reads and for the month of May that is going to be.




Happy reading one & all

Mx

4 comments:

  1. I have almost pressed the buy button on Amazon so many times for this book, I think I will hold my horses a little bit longer then. Great to read your reviews, I am adding to my reading list! And thank you for the kind comment on my blog. Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many other really good books out at the moment that are better than this one. I could understand what Karen Joy Fowler was trying to portray but there are just better reads out there that will grip your attention.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.