Pages

Friday 4 July 2014

Wicked - Gregory Maguire



An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory.



Published by: Headline Review - Fiction
Year: 2006 - Paperback
Pages: 512
ISBN: 978-0755331604



Almost a year ago I was lucky enough to be given tickets to the show in London as part of my golden birthday.  I had heard many great reviews from others who had seen it and was desperate to have the opportunity to see it for myself.   Everyone knows the story of the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy, Tin man, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion but you never got to know the story of the witches until Gregory Maguire bought them back to life in this the first novel of four of the life and times of Elphaba, Nessarose and Glinda. This alternative to Oz takes you back to when Elphaba and Nessarose were children, their time at school and how they met Glinda and all that happens in between.  As much as I loved the show and would highly recommend that if you get the chance go and see it you will not be disappointed as it is truly Wicked but if you get a chance to read at least this first book on which the show was based you would most certainly get a better understanding of the show itself.  There is so much to absorb within the show that having read the book all will become clear. As with all things there is a lot more contained within the book than the show and you will learn more of the extended characters and their significance to the story. 

I was also given book 2 A Son of a Witch, I am yet to read this one but I know I will be able to pick up from where the first finishes.and not be disappointed. 


Happy reading one & all


Mx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.