Pages

Friday 21 March 2014

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

Front Cover
When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynauld denounces her as a serious moral danger to his flock - especially as it is the beginning of Lent, the traditional season of self-denial.


As passions flare and the conflict escalates, the whole community takes sides. Can the solemnity of the Church compare with the sinful pleasure of a chocolate truffle?


Publisher: Black Swan - Paperback
Year: 1999
Pages: 320
ISBN: 9780552998482 


This was a book swap with my book swap buddy.  The story is of a young single mother and her daughter who settle in the small village of Lansquenet. Vianne and her mother had always traveled never staying in one place for very long. So when Vianne had her own daughter she decided that she wanted a more settled lifestyle for her little girl.  They settle in Lansquenet and open their little chocolate shop, soon Vianne has made many friends as well as one or two enemies.  

It's not necessarily a book that I would of picked off the shelf for myself in the bookshop but, it was a nice easy read, the story line was easy to follow and you could relate to each of the characters. 

A very good holiday read.

Mx







2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Chocolat, the novel and the film as well as some of Joanne Harris's other novels, although not so much the latest (one of the follow-ups to Chocolat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read any Joanne Harris before I knew it had been a film but it's not one I have seen.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.