Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Reconstructing Amelia - Kimberley McCreight




Single mother and lawyer Kate Baron is in the meeting of her career when she is interrupted by a telephone call. Her daughter Amelia has just been suspended from her exclusive prep school. When Kate eventually arrives at Grace Hall an hour later, she is greeted by the news that no mother ever wants to hear. A grieving Kate can't accept that her daughter would kill herself. But she soon discovers she didn't know Amelia quite as well as she thought. Who are the friends she kept, what are the secrets she hid? And so begins an investigation which takes her deep into Amelia's private world - and into the mind of a troubled young girl. Then Kate receives an anonymous text: AMELIA DIDN'T JUMP. Is someone toying with her or has she been right all along? To find the truth about her daughter, Kate must now face a darker reality than she could ever have imagined. 


Published by: Simon & Schuster - Fiction
Year: 2013 - Paperback
Pages: 386
ISBN: 978-1471111297


Kimberley McCreight's first novel  'Reconstructing Amelia' is the sixth book from my book shelf challenge. Why I had left it sitting on my shelf for this long I do not know as it is absolutely brilliant.


We all like to think we know our teenagers better than they know themselves don't we but I know having been through that with three of them to date that that is not always the case. 

After the shock of her daughter's death Kate Baron struggles to cope with the verdict of suicide and this is compounded when she receives an anonymous text that says Amelia didn't jump. Kate subsequently starts her own investigation as to what was going on in her daughters life leading up to her death, which forces the police to re investigate what did happen on that fateful day in October. Each chapter within the novel is split into  the story of  Amelia's life up until her death and those of her mothers determination to get to the truth.  It would appear that Amelia was keeping many secrets from her mother but then she wasn't the only one to have secrets as there were some parts of their lives that Kate had been keeping secret from Amelia too. Now would seem the right time for all these secrets to be revealed. 

This is a very well constructed novel and well worth reading.  Nicole Kidman was so taken with this novel that she is now pursuing the possibility of turning it into a film. Ms. Kidman is set to star and executive produce the project, now in development, through her Blossom Film. That being the case I cannot wait for it's release as I will certainly have it on my list as a must see. 


I would recommend anyone with a teenager to read this novel it will certainly make you wonder whether you do know your teenager as well as you think you do. 


Mx

2 comments:

  1. As a mother of teens I will hunt this out thank you. I love to kill a mockingbird, one of my all time favourite books - what do you think of it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had watched the film of To Kill A Mocking Bird many times it's one of my favourites but I hadn't read the book since school and couldn't remember how near the film is to the book, You get more in the book as you usually do but and I really enjoyed it and would maybe read it again in another 30 years meanwhile I still have the film if I get the need to re visit it again.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.