Pages

Sunday 5 July 2015

Summer reads continued




Is it just me or are the years going quicker the older I get.  I cannot believe we are into July already. Before we know it the children will have broken up for the summer, fraught parents will be trying to keep them entertained as the familiar tune of I'm bored rings out across the country and then before we know it the dash to purchase new school uniforms will begin in readiness for the new school year and Christmas decorations will be in the shops.

Thursday D and I had a rare day off together and whilst our youngest was in school decided to have an even rarer day out just the two of us.  Nothing grand you understand, but when you have a son with autism it is nice to do something that is outside of his latest obsession which at the moment is his iPad, Burger King and train spotting. 


We chose to visit the ancestral home of Sir Isaac Newton, Woolthorpe Manor. It was a lovely sunny day but not as hot as it had been on Wednesday. Don't get me wrong I would rather it were sunny than raining but Wednesday was a little overbearing especially as I was shut up in a stuffy office. We had a lovely visit and the staff were very knowledgeable and I think we both learnt a few things apart from the fact that it was here that Isaac Newton discovered gravity when an apple fell from this very tree.

We enjoyed a nice lunch of Gloucester Old Spot Pulled Pork at the Chomeley Arms in Burton Le Coggles. So full were we that we didn't even have room for a desert. To which anyone who knows me well would know this to be unheard of.  The staff were very accommodating as we hadn't booked but still managed to find us a table none the less. The Cholmeley Arms sits within the Eason Estate which has an old walled garden open to visitors. We didn't visit this trip but maybe when we find a day to escape again we can make it our next trip out which also means we could return to the Cholmeley Arms for lunch and maybe leave just enough room for a desert next time.

My July reads have started with The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. I was drawn in by the title alone having been a knitter of some 40+, goodness that makes me feel old.  Essentially the story is around loss. Mary has recently lost her five year old daughter to meningitis. She cannot see the way out of her grief when her mother suggests she visits Alice at the Sit and Knit and join the Knitting Circle.  Reluctantly Mary decides to give it a try, not in good grace, how is learning to knit going to help her cope with the loss of her beloved Stella her mothers reply, it may just save your life.  Having felt that I had lost my way with reading over the last month The Knitting Circle has definitely rectified that. It was a lovely book to read and I would recommend it to all even if you have never picked up a pair of knitting needles in your life, who knows it may even encourage you to give it ago. At the moment it is still just 99p to any of you who have a Kindle or use the Kindle App.

Having had such a lovely day out on Thursday it was nice to round the day off with another surprise. The release of the latest Amanda Prowse novel. It was sat waiting for me on our return delivered as promised on it's release date.  I am a big fan of Amanda Prowse novels and have read everything she has published. Perfect Daughter is her eighth novel in her No Greater Love Series.  Perfect daughter is Jacks story. She is a wife, mother and carer to her elderly mother with Alzheimer's. She was going to be a successful career women, with the freedom to travel the world. Only life seem to have other ideas and her dreams were put on hold long ago. Of course with it's arrival it meant a queue jumper as there was no way I could leave it sitting on the bookshelf until I had worked my way through all those residing there before it arrived. So far I am 100 pages in and not disappointed. Just the ironing to conquer this morning before I get the opportunity to sit in the garden to continue reading about Jacks life story.



So that has been my first week in July and plenty more reading to be had.


But before I go I will just remind you all that one week today I will pick the winner for my anniversary giveaway so if you haven't already done so and wish to take part you can do so by leaving me a comment here, even if you don't normally comment but just like to visit don't be shy.

Happy reading one & all

Mx

Taking part in  Laura's The Year in Books Project 2015


6 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed Ann Hood's book? I have read it a couple of times, and if you like books/novels to do with reading, womens friendship and so on, then might I recommend Kate Jacobs series of books to you, if you're not already familiar with them? I think the first one in the series is 'The Friday Night Knitting Club;
    '.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoyed Ann Hood's book? I have read it a couple of times, and if you like books/novels to do with reading, womens friendship and so on, then might I recommend Kate Jacobs series of books to you, if you're not already familiar with them? I think the first one in the series is 'The Friday Night Knitting Club;
    '.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't come across the Amanda Prowse books before. I've just had a look on amazon and like the sound of them. Are they stand alone stories or do they need to be read in order?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of The Knitting Circle. I am a knitter at heart and I often knit to distract myself from the world around me. Thanks for the recommendation.
    It is lovely to spend some time without children isn't it? With four, this is a bit of a challenge here but my husband and I work together and sometimes we manage a picnic lunch together. Pulled pork sounds just perfect. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time flies, no doubt about it. Glad you had a nice day out.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely right about time flying by - I can't believe it's July. Thanks for the heads up on Amanda Prowse. I haven't heard of her before so it will be fun reading someone new.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.