Pages

Wednesday 30 October 2013

The Sorrow of an American - Siri Hustvedt


My sister called it 'the year of secrets', but when I look back on it now, I've come to understand that it was a time not of what was there, but what wasn't.






Published by: Sceptre 
Year: 2009 - Paperback
Pages: 304
ISBN: 978-0-340-89708-9




Erik Davidson tells the story of how he and his family cope for the first year following his fathers death and in the process unearths secrets not only about his father but also his sisters late husband. 

I must admit the first five - ten pages he had my attention and I thought it was going to be a really good book full of intrigue.  But sad to say it wasn't. It is essentially about a lonely divorcee looking for love and settling for a second best relationship.  All the while trying to support his recently widowed sister and his niece and now his elderly widowed mother.  The secrets that are revealed are not what I would call an OMG secret and were events that happen in a lot of families.  

It turned out to be a book I couldn't put down but not because I was so absorbed by it's content but more because I wanted to get to the end and move on to something more interesting. 

Sorry Siri this one just did not do it for me.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.